EPOA position on deforestation-free supply chains
Response to the European Commission’s proposal dated 17 November 2021 for placing raw materials with a risk of deforestation on the market.
The European Palm Oil Alliance (EPOA) supports the introduction of regulatory measures in order to create a sustainable deforestation-free palm oil trade in the European Union (EU).
The European Palm Oil Alliance believes that:
- Europe will remain a large importer of palm oil for use in many applications, including the food industry. It is important to be clear about the importance of sustainable production and consumption of palm oil;
- Europe is an important market for sustainable and deforestation-free palm oil and it is important to maintain the positive leverage it has on the global market;
- Country Benchmarking will not lead to more deforestation-free production;
- European regulation should not exclude small holders but Europe should rather help supporting producing countries to lift small holders out of poverty;
- Traceability to mill and traceability to plantation should both be allowed until full traceability can be realised with producing countries;
- Industry initiatives and (inter) national (voluntary) standards that have driven supply chain transformation over the last decade and which include environmental, social and economic aspects, should have a role to play in view of upcoming legislation;
For the full position click here.