EPOA reaction on EC Inception Impact Assessment regarding Sustainable food system framework initiative
The European Palm Oil Alliance is underlining the aims of the EU Green Deal to protect the health and well-being of citizens from environment-related risks and impacts. EPOA also considers a sustainable food system crucial to get to a healthy and sustainable future world. As for the use of palm oil, we promote the use of sustainable palm oil (in food products). We consider sustainable palm oil as an important ingredient to feed the world, protect biodiversity and improve socio-economic development.
- We believe it is important to have the right information about food products shared with consumers.
- In principle a particular focus on sustainable foods is welcome.
- EU legislation on sustainability claims needs to be scientifically supported.
- Organic is not sustainable per se.
- European produced foods and/or raw materials are not more sustainable then food from third countries per definition.
- Claims shall be objective and shall not denigrate competitors, nor shall they denigrate ingredients legally used.
- Importance of including circularity.
- Lastly, it is important to note that sustainability is dynamic.
For the full reaction click here.