How can sustainable palm oil become the norm?
Over the past years, EPOA members have made serious efforts to make the palm oil sector more sustainable and have called upon food producers and retailers to increase their uptake of sustainably produced palm oil. In 2019 already 86% of the palm oil imported for food, feed and oleochemical in Europe by European refiners was certified sustainable palm oil.
To transform the palm oil industry, we believe we need a constructive and collaborative approach in which industry, government and NGOs are working together. Also, it is very important that awareness among companies and consumers about the difference between sustainable palm oil and conventional palm oil grows.
We invite NGOs, governments and sustainable palm oil companies to transform the entire palm oil industry by:
- informing consumers on the choice for sustainable palm oil,
- asking manufactures to buy certified sustainable palm oil,
- reaching out to non-sustainable palm oil growers to change.
- Supporting regulatory and non-regulatory measures by the EU to transform the market. Read our position on legislation here.
- Supporting the work of National Initiatives for Sustainable Palm Oil across Europe.
Although the European demand remains a key driver of palm oil industry transformation, it is also key to further develop the demand for CSPO in the largest palm oil-consuming countries, India and China. We also invite NGOs, governments and market players to support National Initiatives transforming the markets in those countries.